Friday 7 February 2014

Fara Way 10



Over the next two hours, we watched our deserted delight fill up with rotund Rotumans. Smoke rose from the far end of the beach. Finally, the sound of an outboard grew louder from Fara way in the lagoon, until we could make out from which direction it was coming. Within a few more minutes, a small open boat had beached up in front of us, and its crew warmly welcomed, as they offloaded their catch. I thought my waiting was over but, as I got up to collect my snorkeling gear, a corrective glance disabused me of the notion. Not yet.
Eventually, after another half hour, one of the young boys kneeled next to my towel.
“You can go in now.” He said. I grabbed my mask and snorkel, and made for the lagoon, before anyone could reconsider. I didn’t make it.
At the water’s edge, I was met by a big Rotuman, eating big fish and big taro and a dozen other big things, off a big banana leaf.
“Lunch is ready.” He said. I was beaten.
Burning feet dragged my snorkeling gear and broken spirit, back to the towel beside Robyn.
“What was that all about?” She asked.
“Lunch is ready.” I said.


No comments:

Post a Comment